Total CFL and Total-CFL webTV brought to you by mykaussie.com
Home | Discussion | Total CFL webTV | E-Store | Special Reports | Site News | Links
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2017, 07:38:27 PM
Home | Login | Register

Author Topic: Well deserved retirement for Ben Cahoon! One of the best?  (Read 11074 times)

Myk Aussie

• Administrator
  • Hall Of Famer
Well deserved retirement for Ben Cahoon! One of the best?
« on: January 26, 2011, 01:44:44 PM »
Wow! This came as a shock to me when earlier today my new mate in Boston "Mike the Canman" calls me to tell me that Ben Cahoon is going to retire and there will be a Alouettes press conference at 2.30pm. Thanks Mike.

What a great CFL career. Is he the best CDN (I mean Non Import re below) CFL player ever? I don't know this answer!

I believe he is in the past 12+ years that I've been watching/studying the great CFL game!

Below from Al's media.

Myk Aussie

Well deserved retirement for Ben Cahoon

Montreal, Jan. 26, 2011 - After 13 seasons, 224 games, 1,017 catches, always more spectacular than the other, 13,301 yards and 65 touchdowns, slotback Ben Cahoon has decided to hang up his cleats.

Cahoon, whose name has been repeated out loud many times by Alouettes' fans at Olympic Stadium and Percival Molson Stadium, had a great career in Montreal. He retires as the all-time CFL leader in receptions with 1,017. He eclipsed Terry Vaughn's record of 1,006 receptions in 2010, his final season.

Cahoon, who played every single of his 13 CFL seasons in Montreal, retires as a champion after helping the Als win the last two Grey Cup championships. He helped the Als win three Grey Cups throughout his career (2002, 2009 and 2010) while being named the game's Most Valuable Canadian twice (2003 and 2009). He is the all-time leader in Grey Cup history with 47 receptions as well as 666 receiving yards.

"My time in Montreal has been magical beyond my wildest childhood dreams. It has been such an honour to put on the helmet and pads of the Montreal Alouettes for the last 13 years. My life and the lives of my family will forever be enriched because of our time in Canada," said Cahoon.

"My family and I appreciate the love and support of the wonderful Montreal Alouettes' fans - as well as the CFL fans across this great country. I wish to thank Mr. Bob Wetenhall for the competent and caring way in which he runs his organization. I also would like to thank my teammates,coaches as well as their families for their enduring friendship and for sacrificing so much in our quest for a championship. They have showed that an unselfish and unified team is the most important key to victory."

"My football career is proof that persistence and determination pay off, that success comes not from winning a game but from doing your best and that consistency is more important than greatness. The lessons I've learned on the football field will undoubtedly serve me well in the future," concluded Cahoon.

Jim Popp on Cahoon
 "Today we celebrate the career of Ben Cahoon, a CFL icon. We thank Ben for his unprecedented standards that he set in the CFL and the contribution to the Montreal Alouettes , the Canadian Football League, and to football in general. He is a special father and husband, a special teammate, and a special football player. His name will forever ring out in the history books of the Canadian Football League and the Montreal fans will never forget Ben Caaaahoooon!"

"Ben was one of the toughest pound for pound football players the Alouettes organization has ever seen. Year in and year out, he had the uncanny ability to play injured and to perform under the biggest stages."

"When we drafted Ben, he was one of the most technically sound football players that we had ever seen. He was coached the proper techniques of catching the football, running routes, and the understanding of the game. This is also a huge credit to Ben for paying attention and putting the teaching to work on the field."

"When you draft players, you expect them to be contributors to your team at some point in their career. You don't draft players expecting them to be one of the greatest at what they do. Having Ben Cahoon playing for the Montreal Alouettes has been as much fun for the organization, as it has been for the fans. The legendary Ben Cahoon is one of the solid pillars that were placed in what has become a solid organization. He will forever be a part of that foundation and that lore."

"If you have a child that is playing football, and they happen to be a wide receiver, I recommend that you watch and study the way Ben Cahoon played the game. He properly places his hands in the right place (on top of the ball) on almost every catch, he adjust his body in mid-arm to get his hands in the proper positions, he accelerates out of breaks to create separation from defensive backs, as well as anyone who has played the game at his position."

"I would say that if we made a highlight tape of the great catches that Ben Cahoon has made in his career, that he arguably may have the greatest highlight reel of any receiver that has ever played the game. The CFL is lucky to have had Ben for all these years, for as good as he has been to this league, he could have been just as good south of the border."

"Ben Cahoon, not only qualified as a Non-Import by CFL rules, he is also the son of two Canadian parents, which makes him a Canadian. I point this out because there has been so much made of Ben's success and saying he wasn't really a Non-Import.  He just happened to be born in the United States while his parents where working there."

"The Alouettes will have a Ben Cahoon day during the 2011 season. "

Contact
Charles Rooke
crooke@montrealalouettes.com
514-886-2776
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 07:32:30 PM by Myk Aussie »
Myk Aussie
Hrs of Sports Comedy TV at
mykaussie.com
Total-CFL.com
Twitter: @MykAussie
FB: Myk Aussie
YouTube/MykAussie

Hambone

• All Star
Re: Well deserved retirement for Ben Cahoon! Is he the best CDN player ever?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 05:04:03 PM »
Semantics. Arguably he is one of the best non-imports ever. However he isn't Canadian so he can't be considered in discussions as the best Canadian ever. Cahoon is an American. He just happened to be outside of the USA for enough time at the right time to be eligible for non-import status. Cahoon was born in Orem, Utah. He went to high school in Orem, Utah and played all of his college ball at Brigham Young in Utah. By rule anybody who lives a total of 7 years in Canada prior to turning 15 is eligible for NI status. Cahoon's family happened to move up to Alberta and reside there for enough time before Ben was 15 to give him NI status. He may never even have played organized football in Canada prior to joining the Alouettes. He's as American as apple pie.  Regardless he's been a class act and great CFLer. We're fortunate to have been able to watch him these past 12 years no matter what his ratio status might have been.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 07:02:04 PM by Hambone »

Myk Aussie

• Administrator
  • Hall Of Famer
Re: Well deserved retirement for Ben Cahoon! Is he the best CDN player ever?
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 07:27:54 PM »
Hambone,

OK thanks. Saskfan in Winnipeg today said something similar to me re Ben one of the Best Non Imports.

I was thinking with 2 CDN parents thats close enough to being CDN but I can see your point as well re he growing up in USA thus he is a American.

Can I say he is the Best CFL Non Import ever? or Top 5?

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 08:10:03 PM by Myk Aussie »
Myk Aussie
Hrs of Sports Comedy TV at
mykaussie.com
Total-CFL.com
Twitter: @MykAussie
FB: Myk Aussie
YouTube/MykAussie

GreatWhiteNorth

• Pro
Re: Well deserved retirement for Ben Cahoon! One of the best?
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 08:09:06 AM »
Two Canadian parents makes him a Canadian to me, but given where he received his football training and coaching he was very much an import with regard to the ratio by rights.

I don't think there is any doubt that the 'Hoon is one of the top receivers to play in the CFL regardless of birth certificate and I'd put him as top 2 or 3 all-time for those qualifying as NIs.

Hambone

• All Star
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 08:48:47 PM »
Actually I was unaware of him having Canadian parents. I just knew he was born in Utah and played his high school and college ball there. Based on that I thought it was almost an quirk of fate that he wound up in southern Alberta for a few years prior to 15.

sectionw

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 09:09:03 PM »
Ben's parent are Canadian some of his siblings are Canadian, he live in Canada fir 8 years, half his family (aunts and uncle) live in Alberta. In my book he q has NI.
He is the thoughest receiver I have ever seen. He had the knack for the ultimate catch.
I will miss yelling Cahoooooon! At the top of my lungs, in Mtl he us a legend on par with prince Hal and Red O'quin.
He was the guy we could relate to, humble, not that fast, not big, he was no fuss no muss, the showman ship was done in catching the ball. All we could think is if I ever was a CFL player, I would only hope to be like Ben. Thanks for the memories Ben.

GreatWhiteNorth

• Pro
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 09:58:29 PM »
There are not many teams that could take on this kind of personnel loss and hardly miss a beat, but with Watkins, Richardson, Bratton and Green left behind, the Als are still stacked.

Got to say, as much as Cahoon stuck it to my Esks and other teams over the years, the way he handled himself on and off the field, he was one of my favourites to watch.

Saskfan in Winnipeg

• All Star
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 10:44:50 AM »
Cahoon is probably my favourite non-Rider receiver. Great hands and classy. How many times did he do a touchdown celebration, but instead just flipped the ball to the referee instead?

total-cfl.com  |  TOTAL-CFL Discussion  |  Total Talk! (Moderator: GreatWhiteNorth)  |  Topic: Well deserved retirement for Ben Cahoon! One of the best?

The Total-CFL News/Discussion.
The Total-CFL News/Discussion is where you will find some of the most knowledgeable CFL fans posting news and at times discussing the latest CFL topics. Many of the TotalCFLers have been on there for 12+ years making it the longest running and I firmly believe the most knowledgeable and accurate "CFL News/Discussion" on the web! We are particularly looking for new CFL fans to join the CFL News /Discussion. Add any CFL news and also ask the great CFL longtime fans questions and get intelligent and monitored replies. Register here for pre-approval.

TotalCFL TV
I have massive amounts of CFL TV from the past 11 years of web Sports casting this great game. All CFL teams are up along with TotalCFL TV from many of the past 12 Grey Cups. Lots of great 1 on 1 CFL Star player interviews along with comedy style fan and Cwoc Cool Women Of Canada CFL cheerleader interviews. Click here

Total-CFL.com - Special Reports
Updated Sat Jan 29, 11. "Nothing but good news for Anthony Calvillo! Well deserved retirement for Ben Cahoon. One of the best. Press Conference video! Effects of NFL labour situation on CFL player migration? by Great White North on Total-CFL.com! New CFL team in Ottawa, expansion draft approved. Start digging please! I'm talking about CFL Grey Cups on Sports Rage with Champ host Gabriel Morency! RIP Tony Proudfoot. The Alouettes mourn the loss of Tony Proudfoot. Report direct from Al's media! Montreal Alouettes star QB Anthony Calvillo health update. Direct from Al's! New MYKwebTV/TotalCFL TV. Talking about the Snow Bowl and Grey Cups on The Team 1260 Edmonton sports radio with Jason Gregor. Watch and listen now! Pictures from the 2010 Grey Cup parties! Montreal Alouettes defeated Saskatchewan Roughriders 21 to 18 in the 98th 2010 CFL Grey Cup in Edmonton! West defeated East 42 to 21 in the 11th Snow Bowl also played on Grey Cup Sunday! Talking about the Snow Bowl, Grey Cups, Super Bowls and AFL Grand Finals on the CBC Radio Active show. Listen now! Talking CFL Grey Cup, Snow Bowl and NFL with Avry from Edmonton on his online Sports show. Listen NOW Click here!

Snow Bowl, a CFL style game played on Grey Cup weekend by diehard CFL fans.
From Snow Bowl section. Updated Mon Dec 6, 10. "Talking about the Snow Bowl and Grey Cups on The Team 1260 Edmonton sports radio with Jason Gregor. Watch and listen now! West defeated East 42 to 21 in the 11th Snow Bowl also played on Grey Cup Sunday! Talking about the Snow Bowl, Grey Cups, Super Bowls and AFL Grand Finals on the CBC Radio Active show. Listen NOW Click here!

Please email myk@mykaussie.com with any problems, suggestions, or feedback regarding the site design of www.total-cfl.com - OzCanDesign 2008©