Total CFL and Total-CFL webTV brought to you by mykaussie.com
Home | Discussion | Total CFL webTV | E-Store | Special Reports | Site News | Links
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2017, 12:37:24 AM
Home | Login | Register

Author Topic: Why did so many Edmonton fans hate Maciocia with such passion?  (Read 8520 times)

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh

• Rookie
Maciocia definitely had his struggles in Edmonton in recent years but his first four years there as offensive coordinator and then as head coach were very successful ones.  I just read an Edmonton Journal article in which Maciocia asked a number of rhetorical questions about why the majority of Edmonton fans never took to him.  One of the questions that caught my eye was, "Is it because of where I am from"?

Did a vocal minority of Edmonton fans not like Maciocia because he was from Montreal and/or the province of Quebec?  I think that the majority of any fan base would be above such thinking and I believe that to be the case in Edmonton but was that part of the reason that he was never really accepted in Edmonton by a vocal minority at least?

I can understand the frustration of Edmonton fans with Maciocia since 2006 but he never really seemed to even endear himself to a decent number of those fans prior to that even though he was very successful from '02 to '05.

Hambone

• All Star
Re: Why did so many Edmonton fans hate Maciocia with such passion?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 10:54:46 AM »
Did a vocal minority of Edmonton fans not like Maciocia because he was from Montreal and/or the province of Quebec?  I think that the majority of any fan base would be above such thinking and I believe that to be the case in Edmonton but was that part of the reason that he was never really accepted in Edmonton by a vocal minority at least?

Usually in every fan site there's some sort of wingnut who is capable of spouting off at the keys with goofball rhetoric like that Ravi. As a semi-frequent lurker in Esksfans' website I've witnessed no lack of vindictiveness towards Maciocia but I don't ever recall anybody using the Q-card.

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 02:00:11 PM »

Usually in every fan site there's some sort of wingnut who is capable of spouting off at the keys with goofball rhetoric like that Ravi. As a semi-frequent lurker in Esksfans' website I've witnessed no lack of vindictiveness towards Maciocia but I don't ever recall anybody using the Q-card.

I haven't seen that on there either and I only ask the question because Maciocia himself brought it up.

Green is the Colour

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 03:41:06 PM »
One might draw a comparison to Roy Shivers being fired in Regina.  He played the race card and there was certainly no evidence of that ever being the issue.  Roy did arrive in town with that chip on his shoulder, though, so perhaps it's not a good comparison given that he brought it up again on the way out.

GreatWhiteNorth

• Pro
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 09:28:55 PM »
The best explanation I can offer up is twofold.  1) He didn't look and act the part of the "football guy", and 2) He was at the helm when the streak ended and the first real futility in more than three decades ensued.  In most cases it's somewhat of a combination of the two, with the more rational, logical fans focused on the latter, and the wingnuts (and there are many) stuck on the former.  I've heard everything from his gum-chewing, his premature celebration at the 2005 GC, his stature, his facial expressions... you know, perfectly acceptable "book by it's cover" BS.

Why I feel the fans SHOULD'VE embraced him more...

1) The guy was like most of us here... not blessed with the physical tools to play football at a high level, but in love with the game.  We talk about it, whereas he went out and lived it, working his way into CFL circles as a volunteer, then asst coach, HC, Dir of PP and finally GM.  It could be argued he was promoted too quickly, but I still maintain that on some level we should've been pulling for him as one of us rather than rallying against him.

2) He learned to be an Eskimo.  Heck, he had Dan Kepley at his family's dinner table 4+ nights a week.  He'd actually considered purchasing Kep's locker for his kitchen when they were up for sale, but held back because he didn't want to bid it up against Eskinator and True-42.  You don't hang out with that kind of company, living and breathing football and hearing the stories of how things were done without picking up the gist of things.  Folks like Dunigan question whether he was ever an Eskimo, and to my thinking it strips away every bit of meaning from the slogan they hold so sacred... "Once an Eskimo, Always an Eskimo".

3) He was everything you could've asked for in the community.  Charity work, making a home for himself and his family.  He was accessible, friendly and could often be spotted down in Little Italy having an Espresso.

Unfortunately, none of those things have any mention of W's and L's.  I still maintain that 3 years is a realistic timeline for rebuilding a team, but a 3 year rebuild isn't something that most Edmonton fans have seen before... that's what other teams go through, we just reload, right?  2006 - no playoffs, 2007 - no playoffs, 2008 - crossover, 2009 - 3rd place (and spitting distance of the front-runners).  2010 saw them pretty well-regarded by many of the talking heads entering the season, but obviously there is something missing.  I'm not sure that it's talent, but whatever it is, it was likely time to make a change.  I don't have any belief that this change will be one that actually turns around the season... it's more about impacting the direction next year and beyond... but it's likely something that had to be done.

total-cfl.com  |  TOTAL-CFL Discussion  |  Total Talk! (Moderator: GreatWhiteNorth)  |  Topic: Why did so many Edmonton fans hate Maciocia with such passion?

The Total-CFL News/Discussion.
The Total-CFL News/Discussion is where you will find some of the most knowledgeable CFL fans posting news and at times discussing the latest CFL topics. Many of the TotalCFLers have been on there for 12+ years making it the longest running and I firmly believe the most knowledgeable and accurate "CFL News/Discussion" on the web! We are particularly looking for new CFL fans to join the CFL News /Discussion. Add any CFL news and also ask the great CFL longtime fans questions and get intelligent and monitored replies. Register here for pre-approval.

TotalCFL TV
I have massive amounts of CFL TV from the past 11 years of web Sports casting this great game. All CFL teams are up along with TotalCFL TV from many of the past 12 Grey Cups. Lots of great 1 on 1 CFL Star player interviews along with comedy style fan and Cwoc Cool Women Of Canada CFL cheerleader interviews. Click here

Total-CFL.com - Special Reports
Updated Sat Jan 29, 11. "Nothing but good news for Anthony Calvillo! Well deserved retirement for Ben Cahoon. One of the best. Press Conference video! Effects of NFL labour situation on CFL player migration? by Great White North on Total-CFL.com! New CFL team in Ottawa, expansion draft approved. Start digging please! I'm talking about CFL Grey Cups on Sports Rage with Champ host Gabriel Morency! RIP Tony Proudfoot. The Alouettes mourn the loss of Tony Proudfoot. Report direct from Al's media! Montreal Alouettes star QB Anthony Calvillo health update. Direct from Al's! New MYKwebTV/TotalCFL TV. Talking about the Snow Bowl and Grey Cups on The Team 1260 Edmonton sports radio with Jason Gregor. Watch and listen now! Pictures from the 2010 Grey Cup parties! Montreal Alouettes defeated Saskatchewan Roughriders 21 to 18 in the 98th 2010 CFL Grey Cup in Edmonton! West defeated East 42 to 21 in the 11th Snow Bowl also played on Grey Cup Sunday! Talking about the Snow Bowl, Grey Cups, Super Bowls and AFL Grand Finals on the CBC Radio Active show. Listen now! Talking CFL Grey Cup, Snow Bowl and NFL with Avry from Edmonton on his online Sports show. Listen NOW Click here!

Snow Bowl, a CFL style game played on Grey Cup weekend by diehard CFL fans.
From Snow Bowl section. Updated Mon Dec 6, 10. "Talking about the Snow Bowl and Grey Cups on The Team 1260 Edmonton sports radio with Jason Gregor. Watch and listen now! West defeated East 42 to 21 in the 11th Snow Bowl also played on Grey Cup Sunday! Talking about the Snow Bowl, Grey Cups, Super Bowls and AFL Grand Finals on the CBC Radio Active show. Listen NOW Click here!

Please email myk@mykaussie.com with any problems, suggestions, or feedback regarding the site design of www.total-cfl.com - OzCanDesign 2008©