Total CFL and Total-CFL webTV brought to you by mykaussie.com
Home | Discussion | Total CFL webTV | E-Store | Special Reports | Site News | Links
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2017, 07:36:22 PM
Home | Login | Register

Author Topic: Eskimo Press Conference  (Read 9112 times)

Esk Reporter

• Rookie
Eskimo Press Conference
« on: July 27, 2010, 08:43:11 AM »
It was an interesting day for the Edmonton Eskimo organization as they felt a 'press conference' was necessary to address the teams 0-4 start.  I was a little surprised that the Rick Lelacheur was the one doing it, but clearly someone else needed to say something.  While nothing was said 'directly', there was a lot of 'reading between the lines' afterwards which will make for some interesting reading on message boards in the coming days and weeks.  The most notable comment I found was the one that said that no one in the organization was safe, including himself!!  I found that 'refreshing' as that has not always been the position of the current GM.

Stay tuned...   :)

Colin Unger

• All Star
Re: Eskimo Press Conference
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 09:01:53 AM »
Would they hire Tillman as a replacement if they were looking for a replacement?

Hambone

• All Star
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 10:15:01 AM »
Would they hire Tillman as a replacement if they were looking for a replacement?

Even though Tillman was cleared in his proceedings I think he may still be too much of a PR hot potato for the generally conservative "Eskimo Way".

Should Edmonton not get things turned around and be forced into moves later this summer I don't expect anything significant. If mid-season changes in the football operations department become necessary I expect Maciocia will return to the sidelines as HC in an attempt to salvage both the season and his job. Hall would be given the option of accepting the demotion to DC or being terminated. Should he not accept the demotion then I think they'd fill the DC vacancy internally with either Walker or Hairston. I think if they'd find it necessary to make wholesale changes in their football operations they'd want to wait until the offseason when there is a much broader group of candidates to work from.

Randy Brule

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 10:41:37 AM »
You really think Danny Maciocia returning to the sidelines will be considered a good move to "save the season"?  I'm from Ottawa so I don't know what the local sentiment is, but I hardly see going back to Maciocia is a step up.  At best he was a mediocre head coach.

2005 - 11-7-0
2006 - 7-11-0
2007 - 5-12-1
2008 - 10-8-0

And a lot of people felt that his 2005 season was more a reflection of what Tom Higgins left for him than what he was able to do for himself.

Hambone

• All Star
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 12:36:36 PM »
The 2005 squad was so veteran heavy it could run on autopilot. I've always cut Maciocia some slack in years following that because the 2004 & 2005 teams were so top heavy with aging veterans he was left with little choice but to start making massive lineup changes. I don't think him returning to the sidelines would right things either. However I think given the hypothetical situation I don't see any other options and there is all kinds of examples in sports where such a move would be typical.

Ownership (in this case the board) tells the prez to fix things or else.
Prez tells GM to fix things or else.
GM knows he can't fire the players so a coaching change is the easiest option.
GM also knows his own ass is on the line so does he hire somebody else to take over knowing his is placing his own career into the hands of someone else? From what I've seen of Maciocia's style he comes across as one who's a bit of a control freak. He's always seemed to be reluctant to surrender any of the multiple hats he's tended to wear at one time. If he feels his own job is hanging on the performance of the team for the rest of the season I don't see him entrusting his fate to anyone other than himself especially since he came up through the coaching ranks.

GreatWhiteNorth

• Pro
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 10:41:20 AM »
I agree with Hambone's thoughts completely.  IF there is a coaching change to be made, they need to fill from within to get by. 

Maciocia is not popular with the fan base already, partly for being the man around when the organization broke the playoff streak, and partly for other, seemingly personal reasons that seem to mostly come from not looking the part of a football guy.  That, combined with him being the one that hired Hall, likely has him as squarely on the hot seat as anyone else, with the exception of Hall.  Their fates are likely tied closely to each other, and if Hall is forced to walk the plank, Maciocia's only way to possibly save his job would likely be to step into the void himself and turn things around (which would be a tall order if it's come to that).  Given the hosting of the Grey Cup and having a team with expectations to complete (albeit wholly unrecognized), I think that they'll give this as much time as they possibly can.

As for Colin's question regarding Tillman, a virtually unanimous "hell no" is the response on Eskimo message boards and I whole-heartedly agree.  The incident is too fresh and the market would have other people out there with far, far less baggage.  If he had some past ties to the Esks organization, perhaps he'd be cut a little more slack, but being an outsider with a muddied reputation, there's no way that the Esks would go near him imo.

It will be interesting to see what sort of crowd they get tonight with the forecast not being ideal, the game being on the Friday before a long weekend and the poor performance of the club so far this season.  Not a recipe for a good walkup crowd, and if the Lions jump on the Esks early, it will likely be a very hostile mob indeed.

Personally, I think the Esks have continued to do some great things on the business front with the renovations and construction (hardly a peep of outrage at public funds contributed to the new field house) and a fantastic job of promoting and selling the Grey Cup.  For that, given that his job is largely focused on the business side, I would think LeLacheur should be safe, as long as he is willing to publicly distance himself from the football decisions when he has to.

I also still maintain that the Esks are on the right track when it comes to personnel, as in recent years they've improved their talent (import and non-import) and have put in place many solid building blocks as a relatively young team.  It's patently obvious that there are a few ingredients missing from the mix still, and whether that is on the coaching front, the leadership front or some combination of other factors, it's hard to suggest that the Esks don't put forth a competitive roster on paper (for whatever that is worth!).  That has to be one measure of the GM, and another is the systems that are put in place, such as the scouting department that has been supplemented substantially in recent years.  The ultimate measure though, is held in the W's and L's, and that is far from a glowing record for Maciocia and his crew.

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh

• Rookie
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 10:07:14 AM »
You really think Danny Maciocia returning to the sidelines will be considered a good move to "save the season"?  I'm from Ottawa so I don't know what the local sentiment is, but I hardly see going back to Maciocia is a step up.  At best he was a mediocre head coach.

2005 - 11-7-0
2006 - 7-11-0
2007 - 5-12-1
2008 - 10-8-0

And a lot of people felt that his 2005 season was more a reflection of what Tom Higgins left for him than what he was able to do for himself.

An Edmonton Journal article I just read suggested that Maciocia might be a good fit in some role for the new Ottawa franchise, Randy.  How do you feel about that?

Randy Brule

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 11:12:40 AM »
No, I'm really not interested in having him as GM or Head Coach in Ottawa.  Anyone I've asked feels the same way.  Of course, the overall feeling is that we're still 3 years from fielding a team...there will be a lot of CFL-Recyclotron between then and now!

total-cfl.com  |  TOTAL-CFL Discussion  |  Total Talk! (Moderator: GreatWhiteNorth)  |  Topic: Eskimo Press Conference

The Total-CFL News/Discussion.
The Total-CFL News/Discussion is where you will find some of the most knowledgeable CFL fans posting news and at times discussing the latest CFL topics. Many of the TotalCFLers have been on there for 12+ years making it the longest running and I firmly believe the most knowledgeable and accurate "CFL News/Discussion" on the web! We are particularly looking for new CFL fans to join the CFL News /Discussion. Add any CFL news and also ask the great CFL longtime fans questions and get intelligent and monitored replies. Register here for pre-approval.

TotalCFL TV
I have massive amounts of CFL TV from the past 11 years of web Sports casting this great game. All CFL teams are up along with TotalCFL TV from many of the past 12 Grey Cups. Lots of great 1 on 1 CFL Star player interviews along with comedy style fan and Cwoc Cool Women Of Canada CFL cheerleader interviews. Click here

Total-CFL.com - Special Reports
Updated Sat Jan 29, 11. "Nothing but good news for Anthony Calvillo! Well deserved retirement for Ben Cahoon. One of the best. Press Conference video! Effects of NFL labour situation on CFL player migration? by Great White North on Total-CFL.com! New CFL team in Ottawa, expansion draft approved. Start digging please! I'm talking about CFL Grey Cups on Sports Rage with Champ host Gabriel Morency! RIP Tony Proudfoot. The Alouettes mourn the loss of Tony Proudfoot. Report direct from Al's media! Montreal Alouettes star QB Anthony Calvillo health update. Direct from Al's! New MYKwebTV/TotalCFL TV. Talking about the Snow Bowl and Grey Cups on The Team 1260 Edmonton sports radio with Jason Gregor. Watch and listen now! Pictures from the 2010 Grey Cup parties! Montreal Alouettes defeated Saskatchewan Roughriders 21 to 18 in the 98th 2010 CFL Grey Cup in Edmonton! West defeated East 42 to 21 in the 11th Snow Bowl also played on Grey Cup Sunday! Talking about the Snow Bowl, Grey Cups, Super Bowls and AFL Grand Finals on the CBC Radio Active show. Listen now! Talking CFL Grey Cup, Snow Bowl and NFL with Avry from Edmonton on his online Sports show. Listen NOW Click here!

Snow Bowl, a CFL style game played on Grey Cup weekend by diehard CFL fans.
From Snow Bowl section. Updated Mon Dec 6, 10. "Talking about the Snow Bowl and Grey Cups on The Team 1260 Edmonton sports radio with Jason Gregor. Watch and listen now! West defeated East 42 to 21 in the 11th Snow Bowl also played on Grey Cup Sunday! Talking about the Snow Bowl, Grey Cups, Super Bowls and AFL Grand Finals on the CBC Radio Active show. Listen NOW Click here!

Please email myk@mykaussie.com with any problems, suggestions, or feedback regarding the site design of www.total-cfl.com - OzCanDesign 2008©