Total CFL and Total-CFL webTV brought to you by mykaussie.com
Home | Discussion | Total CFL webTV | E-Store | Special Reports | Site News | Links
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2017, 06:35:51 AM
Home | Login | Register

Author Topic: CFL CBA 2010  (Read 6230 times)

TheGreyCupTDChicken

CFL CBA 2010
« on: May 27, 2010, 10:14:43 PM »
It was announced yesterday that after months of negotiations The CFL and The CFLPA have tenatively reached a deal on a new CBA to replace the old one which is set to expire at the end of May. The deal will not be officially voted on till July 1st so both sides are keeping mum of the major points of the agreement but the three major topics that were debated upon were a new drug testing policy, the daily work hours and as usual the quantity of Canadian starters.

The fact that it took this long to instate a drug testing policy in The CFL in this day and age where the public and sports culture is well aware of drugs in sports is a little ridiculous. However as league when you have to deal with propping up a team or two to prevent them from folding drug testing unfortunately falls by the wayside. It seems though that the time is now and good for both sides working together to make this happen. As a general rule I think that somehow football gets a free pass from the fans and media about PED's where baseball doesn't and I think it has to do with the aggresion and big bodies that are required to play the game this is not an excuse merely and observation. That being said sports in general is under scrutiny to clean up their players and I think this is a good first step in the right direction.

To the daily work hours/practice time that the league requires it's players to be accountable to the current agreement is that players are required to report to their teams for a total of 4 1/2 hours a day. Upon hearing the number I was a little shocked at how little time in a day they actually spend at their respective facilities, but after being able to take in some of The Eskimo training camp and a couple of practice days last season I realized that this is infact about the time they have in a day. Which when you think about it is quite amazing that the product is as good as it is since they manage to fit in meetings, video review and practice all in a relatively small 4 1/2 hour window. What the league and it's franchises are asking for now is to up it 6 hours. Which I'm guessing would make having the second job that many of our CFL players have increasingly difficult to commit to. There's no information yet as to which way the negotiation went but here's the way I see it. I think that the increased time commitment is a good thing more time spent as a team whether it be on field practice, flim study or even just team building will help evolve the product on the field down the line. However having an eye on what's best for the players as well the only way that they should be allowing this to happen is that the bottom line in dollars and cents needs to be beefed up. I'm sure players like Ricky Ray and Anthony Callvilo don't have second jobs cause their hundred thousand dollars salaries don't require them to. It's the guys at the bottom, the rookies making $30, 000 and the low end starters making $60, 000 that need a boost. If you're going to ask players to give more of their day and lets be honest we have to call it what it is more of their wage earning day then you have to be giving something back. So let's go CFL, let's go franchises do the right thing and back up the truck. The increases don't have to enormous but they do have to be significant enough to make these football postions self-sustaining financially for the players. With revenues, gates and TV numbers all growing the time is ripe to make this happen.

As for the Canadian content this one is a little more dicey. To be honest I don't ever want to be part of the conversation that reduces the Canadian quotient but I'm guessing that for the coaches and GM's around The CFL this a very difficult piece of the roster to navigate. I suppose if it's a matter of making the product on the field better it should be considered. However I also feel that is a slippery slope because if the decision is all based on the on-field product then where does it stop? At what point do you just throw your hands up and just blow the ratio right out of the leauge and I truly feel that would be a tragedy. Especially in a time where I feel that grass roots football is growing which can be evidenced by the improved talent of The CIS and the interest level of college football in Canada. I think in another 10 years we'll begin to see a large windfall of Canadian born players at any position perhaps excluding QB.

Until we get to see what the details of the agreement are I'm obviously speculatiing on all these points so I guess the most important fact to focus on is that there will infact not be a work stoppage in The CFL this year and that is always a positive. Cheers to both sides getting this done cause to be honest I'm dying for some gridiron action.

total-cfl.com  |  TOTAL-CFL Discussion  |  Total Talk! (Moderator: GreatWhiteNorth)  |  Topic: CFL CBA 2010

The Total-CFL News/Discussion.
The Total-CFL News/Discussion is where you will find some of the most knowledgeable CFL fans posting news and at times discussing the latest CFL topics. Many of the TotalCFLers have been on there for 12+ years making it the longest running and I firmly believe the most knowledgeable and accurate "CFL News/Discussion" on the web! We are particularly looking for new CFL fans to join the CFL News /Discussion. Add any CFL news and also ask the great CFL longtime fans questions and get intelligent and monitored replies. Register here for pre-approval.

TotalCFL TV
I have massive amounts of CFL TV from the past 11 years of web Sports casting this great game. All CFL teams are up along with TotalCFL TV from many of the past 12 Grey Cups. Lots of great 1 on 1 CFL Star player interviews along with comedy style fan and Cwoc Cool Women Of Canada CFL cheerleader interviews. Click here

Total-CFL.com - Special Reports
Updated Sat Jan 29, 11. "Nothing but good news for Anthony Calvillo! Well deserved retirement for Ben Cahoon. One of the best. Press Conference video! Effects of NFL labour situation on CFL player migration? by Great White North on Total-CFL.com! New CFL team in Ottawa, expansion draft approved. Start digging please! I'm talking about CFL Grey Cups on Sports Rage with Champ host Gabriel Morency! RIP Tony Proudfoot. The Alouettes mourn the loss of Tony Proudfoot. Report direct from Al's media! Montreal Alouettes star QB Anthony Calvillo health update. Direct from Al's! New MYKwebTV/TotalCFL TV. Talking about the Snow Bowl and Grey Cups on The Team 1260 Edmonton sports radio with Jason Gregor. Watch and listen now! Pictures from the 2010 Grey Cup parties! Montreal Alouettes defeated Saskatchewan Roughriders 21 to 18 in the 98th 2010 CFL Grey Cup in Edmonton! West defeated East 42 to 21 in the 11th Snow Bowl also played on Grey Cup Sunday! Talking about the Snow Bowl, Grey Cups, Super Bowls and AFL Grand Finals on the CBC Radio Active show. Listen now! Talking CFL Grey Cup, Snow Bowl and NFL with Avry from Edmonton on his online Sports show. Listen NOW Click here!

Snow Bowl, a CFL style game played on Grey Cup weekend by diehard CFL fans.
From Snow Bowl section. Updated Mon Dec 6, 10. "Talking about the Snow Bowl and Grey Cups on The Team 1260 Edmonton sports radio with Jason Gregor. Watch and listen now! West defeated East 42 to 21 in the 11th Snow Bowl also played on Grey Cup Sunday! Talking about the Snow Bowl, Grey Cups, Super Bowls and AFL Grand Finals on the CBC Radio Active show. Listen NOW Click here!

Please email myk@mykaussie.com with any problems, suggestions, or feedback regarding the site design of www.total-cfl.com - OzCanDesign 2008©