Total CFL and Total-CFL webTV brought to you by mykaussie.com
Home | Discussion | Total CFL webTV | E-Store | Special Reports | Site News | Links
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2019, 06:03:11 AM
Home | Login | Register

Author Topic: Welcome Leo Ezerins to this Discussion!  (Read 15905 times)

Myk Aussie

• Administrator
  • Hall Of Famer
Welcome Leo Ezerins to this Discussion!
« on: November 01, 2009, 11:17:52 AM »
This was a pleasent surprise this morning when I found out who Leo was after he registered for the Total-CFL Discussion. I had a quick chat with Leo on email and then obviously approved his Free Discussion Password.

Leo as many of you would know is a former CFL player from 1978 to 1987 with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. He is currently the Executive Director of the CFL Alumni Association.

Leo is based out of Vancouver but here in Calgary until the end of the 09 Grey Cup. 

For Leo's profile
http://www.cflaa.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=13

Welcome Leo to the Total-CF.com Discussion.
Myk Aussie
Hrs of Sports Comedy TV at
mykaussie.com
Total-CFL.com
Twitter: @MykAussie
FB: Myk Aussie
YouTube/MykAussie

Saskfan in Winnipeg

• All Star
Re: Welcome Leo Ezerins to this Discussion!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 10:36:56 PM »
I met Mr. Ezerins earlier a few weeks ago before the Hall of Fame Game courtesy of Eskinator, True-42 and Blue Fan...but I didn't know who he was (he was only introduced as "Leo"). I noticed the ring on his finger, but didn't get a good look at it.

He was a nice guy and I enjoyed my brief conversation to him.

Welcome aboard, Leo!

GreatWhiteNorth

• Pro
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 08:59:30 AM »
CFL Alumni Association is doing some good work in getting things off the ground and will hopefully be able to show that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts by providing elements that the individual club's alumni associations haven't been able to do.

A couple of questions for Leo...

1) What are the top three aims of the CFLAA?

2) What are ways that fans can support the Association other than through the GC event?

Leo

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 08:03:27 PM »
GWN...

Here are all of our objectives, in priority, as laid out in our strategic plan:
(You asked for the top 3 but I thought I would give you the whole enchilada!)

To be non for profit federally incorporated charitable organization
To establish and support a fund to assist former players who experience post career medical challenges.
To create an umbrella organization for team alumni associations to realize economies of scale with respect to marketing opportunities, operating costs, sponsorship, and programming
To promote the tradition of the CFL and to enhance and augment the CFL experience for the benefit of players and fans
To support the development of football in Canada through scholarships, football program start up funds, mentorship, etc.  in partnership with the CFL teams, CFL alumni, CFLPA, Football Canada, CIS Football, and Canadian Junior Football, etc.
To build a business contact network of retire players to support current CFL players as they transition from football to post football careers
To assist CFLPA Pension Plan to locate the players who have pension monies available but not contact information

How can you help?

You said our Grey Cup CFL Alumni Legends Club event was out of your price range. We do not want to be known as an organization which leaves out any part of our fan base.  We would welcome ideas how we could hold events or other fundraising activities which allow ALL fans to participate.

As well, just please spread the word of our existence and of our objectives.  If you go to our website www.cflaa.ca you will get an update of the local and national activites.  If you have any suggestions for other content please let me know.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 09:07:54 PM by Myk Aussie »

GreatWhiteNorth

• Pro
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 10:33:20 PM »
I love the idea of the fund, and also see a load of value in the concept of using alum to assist in the transition for retiring players.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it noticeable by its absence is talk of a fraternal element to the organization.  Is that presumed to be more the territory of the team alumni groups?

I'd love to see a much greater role for the CFLAA with regards to the league and the CFLPA.  IMO, the CFLAA is the voice of those that have "been there and done that" when it comes to Canadian football and life after football.  There is obviously huge value that they can lend the league through their names, their reputation and their insight... but to state the obvious, value shouldn't have to be lent to the league... it warrants compensation.  I don't know the specifics, but I would certainly hope that the CFL is contributing to the operations of the CFLAA.

I encourage the CFLAA to continue to bring the alumni to market.  Give the alum opportunities to interact with each other, but also give the fans the opportunity to interact with them.  I would hope that the alum get benefit from the adoration, recognition and respect of the fans.  While the concept of the Milt Stegall spend-your-career-with-one-team player is a rarity these days, alums are a nice continuous connection for fans.  Willie Pless will always be an Eskimo, Angelo Mosca will always be a Ticat.  I understand that many will value their privacy in their life off the field, but it's nice to be able to see these guys appreciated when fans get the chance to share their memories and hear the stories of days gone by.

Best of luck!

Leo

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 08:32:26 PM »
As Grey Cup unites our country so will it unite the Alumni.  By working closely with Grey Cup Festival and with the local Alumni our goal is to bring the guys together.  The challenge in the past is to communicate well enough to those who are coming into town or contemplating coming into town so they know where to connect.  This year will be the first year fans and alumni will be able to find this information via our website and to know where the guys will be gathering. This year Friday is Alumni day with 2 events.  The CFL Alumni Legends Club and the Night of Champions. The goal is to model Grey Cup as a homecoming game for all CFL Alumni.  We plan to add more events as time goes on.  The first addition, based on feedback, maybe to hold an event for the family and average fan.  Any ideas?  2012 marks the 100th Anniversay of Grey Cup.  We want to be a major part of the festivities and welcome back as many Alumni, not only players, but trainers, coaches, GM's, cheerleaders, officials, executive, etc. for one BIG homecoming!

The League has been a HUGE supporter of the CFLAA.  The first commitment was the design of the logo.  The next was a 3 year financial support agreement starting June 2009.  Each local Alumni Association has also made a 3 year commitment.  The PA so far has made a one time contribution.  As well, we have worked in consultation with the League on the RETRO program and the League has send out communications, such as press releases, to their channel of distribution to name a couple of specifics.

We have a good working relationship with the PA.  Our mandates are pretty well defined in that the PA is responsible for current players (young bulls) and the Alumni Association for the care of the old bulls.

Our role is like the story of the old bull and young bull.  The one where the old bull and the young bull are standing on a hill overlooking a heard of prize cows.  The young bull turns the old bulll and says let go down and get us one.  The old bull says slow down son lets be patience, walk down, and get them ALL!

total-cfl.com  |  TOTAL-CFL Discussion  |  Total Talk! (Moderator: GreatWhiteNorth)  |  Topic: Welcome Leo Ezerins to this Discussion!

The Total-CFL News/Discussion.
The Total-CFL News/Discussion is where you will find some of the most knowledgeable CFL fans posting news and at times discussing the latest CFL topics. Many of the TotalCFLers have been on there for 12+ years making it the longest running and I firmly believe the most knowledgeable and accurate "CFL News/Discussion" on the web! We are particularly looking for new CFL fans to join the CFL News /Discussion. Add any CFL news and also ask the great CFL longtime fans questions and get intelligent and monitored replies. Register here for pre-approval.

TotalCFL TV
I have massive amounts of CFL TV from the past 11 years of web Sports casting this great game. All CFL teams are up along with TotalCFL TV from many of the past 12 Grey Cups. Lots of great 1 on 1 CFL Star player interviews along with comedy style fan and Cwoc Cool Women Of Canada CFL cheerleader interviews. Click here

Total-CFL.com - Special Reports
Updated Sat Jan 29, 11. "Nothing but good news for Anthony Calvillo! Well deserved retirement for Ben Cahoon. One of the best. Press Conference video! Effects of NFL labour situation on CFL player migration? by Great White North on Total-CFL.com! New CFL team in Ottawa, expansion draft approved. Start digging please! I'm talking about CFL Grey Cups on Sports Rage with Champ host Gabriel Morency! RIP Tony Proudfoot. The Alouettes mourn the loss of Tony Proudfoot. Report direct from Al's media! Montreal Alouettes star QB Anthony Calvillo health update. Direct from Al's! New MYKwebTV/TotalCFL TV. Talking about the Snow Bowl and Grey Cups on The Team 1260 Edmonton sports radio with Jason Gregor. Watch and listen now! Pictures from the 2010 Grey Cup parties! Montreal Alouettes defeated Saskatchewan Roughriders 21 to 18 in the 98th 2010 CFL Grey Cup in Edmonton! West defeated East 42 to 21 in the 11th Snow Bowl also played on Grey Cup Sunday! Talking about the Snow Bowl, Grey Cups, Super Bowls and AFL Grand Finals on the CBC Radio Active show. Listen now! Talking CFL Grey Cup, Snow Bowl and NFL with Avry from Edmonton on his online Sports show. Listen NOW Click here!

Snow Bowl, a CFL style game played on Grey Cup weekend by diehard CFL fans.
From Snow Bowl section. Updated Mon Dec 6, 10. "Talking about the Snow Bowl and Grey Cups on The Team 1260 Edmonton sports radio with Jason Gregor. Watch and listen now! West defeated East 42 to 21 in the 11th Snow Bowl also played on Grey Cup Sunday! Talking about the Snow Bowl, Grey Cups, Super Bowls and AFL Grand Finals on the CBC Radio Active show. Listen NOW Click here!

Please email myk@mykaussie.com with any problems, suggestions, or feedback regarding the site design of www.total-cfl.com - OzCanDesign 2008©