The Different types of Sports Bet in Brief.
There is no doubt that trying to predict the result of a sports outcome adds that extra excitement of an event and is generally considered to be a form of gambling.
Beside the simple type of wagers such as putting a twenty on a favourite team to win, there are many other types of bet one can place through a bookmaker or reputable online sports betting site which include such bets as:
• Moneyline bets which do not have a spread or a handicap with the team which is favourite paying lower odds than the underdog.
• Spread bets are those that are made against the line, or spread. This is a number that is given by the bookmakers which handicaps one team and favours the other.
• Proposition bets are those wagers which are made on a very specific outcome such as predicting the number of goals.
• A Parlay involves multiple bets and these type of bets give the bettor a large payout if they are successful.
• A Progressive Parlay again involves multiple bets and again offers good payouts.
• Teasers allow the bettor combine their bets on two or even more games, but they have to get all the games correct to make a win.
• An If bet takes the form of at least two straight bets which are joined together by something called an 'If' clause which is the factor that determines the wager process
• The Run Line, Puck Line or Goal Line bets are wagers that are offered as an alternative to straight up/moneyline prices given on games of baseball, hockey, or soccer and feature a fixed point spread that usually offers a higher payout for the favourite and a lower payout for the underdog.
• There are bets called Future Wagers which have a long term horizon of weeks or even months, rather than in days or hours. Bets such as these could take the form of placing a wager on who will will the Super Bowl, for example, and winning bets will not payout until the conclusion of the Super Bowl in January or February (the season starts in September.)
• Totalizators have changing odds in real time, with the usual percentages being 90% of the amount placed being given back to the bettors and 10% going to the bookmaker.
• There is also 2nd half bets and sometimes these are known as halftime bets.
One of the most popular types of wager is the Inplay bet. This type of bet is featured by some of the best quality online sports books and the bet allows the placing of new bets while the sports even is still in progress, with the general role of the bookmaker is to function as a market maker for sports wagers.
As you can see there are quite a few bets that can be placed on different sporting venues and to make sure that you are being offered not only great odds but and environment that is safe and secure to place your bets, please make sure that you choose only the highest of quality online sites in order to place your wagers.
If you are new to this type of sports betting then please checkout some of the great quality sites on offer, and in order to do that its a good idea to use one of the topline comparison sites you can find on the internet such as Piramind.com which is a reputable, and respected online casino comparison site that offers unbiased and comprehensive reviews with direct links through to the sites that are recommended. These type of sites take a great deal of the hard work out of finding a site which offers a good range of betting formats alongside good odds, choice and customer support. Many of the best quality sites also offer new players some great promotional offers and these are worth taking a look at too.
It’s common knowledge that successful gamblers are always looking for an edge. Whether there are edges to be had in most casino gambling situations is open to question, but one seemingly easy way to gain an advantage is through a betting system. Although there is no evidence that a betting system actually works, they are usually easy to understand, so gambling authors and ‘experts’ can make a lot of money selling betting systems to hopeful amateur gamblers.
Types of Betting Systems
A betting system is simply a way of making bets designed to exploit the structure of the game. The theory is that certain types of bets can get around the House edge, but there is no evidence that this is the case. The types of betting systems most commonly used in casino games are progressive betting systems, where certain conditions require you increase the size of your bets.
After going to the CFL or watching the games on TV try betting on some games. There are many different sports to bet on on different sites. I was impressed to see I could bet on one of my favourite sports, Australian Rules Football on some of the sites. I like to do some online betting especially on the NFL and the CFL.
Negative Progression Betting System: The Martingale
The Martingale is probably one of the most talked about betting systems there is. It is a negative progression system, meaning you increase your bets when you lose. Specifically, you double your bets with every loss, and book your first win. So for example, if you bet $5 on red in roulette and win, you walk with your $5 profit. If you lose, you bet $10 on red. Win and walk with your $5 profit, lose, and bet $20 on red, etc. This would seem to be a foolproof system to guarantee yourself a $5 win. However, unlikely as it seems, the wheel can come up black eight or more times in a row. When it does, you will run up against the table maximum or the limits of your bankroll and be stuck with a massive loss which will eat up all of those times you won $5. Negative progressions produce frequent small wins and rare huge losses.
Positive Progression Betting System: The Paroli
The Paroli is almost the opposite of the Martingale. In this one, if you lose, you remain with your standard bet size. If you win, you raise the bet, for example, to 3x. If you lose, it’s back to one unit. If you win again, you raise the bet again, for example to 5x. Win or lose this bet and you go back to the standard bet. Positive progressions produce frequent small losses and infrequent big wins.
NFL Football Picks! NFL Betting!
Check out my NFL section on mykaussie.com for NFL football picks, NFL football bets, NFL TV, NFL reports.
Updated May 2010. Massive amounts of Total CFL TV!
Includes 2009 CFL Grey Cup TV coming in late November! CFL Grey Cup TV 1999 to present, BC Lions TV, Calgary Stampeders TV, Edmonton Eskimos TV, Saskatchewan Roughriders TV, Montreal Alouettes TV, Hamilton Tiger-Cats TV, Toronto Argonuts TV, Winnipeg Blue Bombers TV, coming in Nov 2009 Grey Cup TV. Mny more CFL Grey Cup's TV coming. For TotalCFL TV Click here